Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Report: The Crowfield Curse by Pat Walsh

First, let me apologize for not having more recent titles, in case some of my readers are looking for new releases. I tend to pick up these books at the library and take what I can get...often a fun adventure where I never know where I'll end up!

This past trip to the Harris County Public Library landed me smack dab in 1347, in the midst of a snowy, dreary, secret-filled abbey and following close behind a 14-year-old boy named William Paynel and the hobgoblin, or hob, that he rescues from the jaws of a steel trap.

The book is beautifully written and sucked me in past my bedtime immediately for the past few nights. With the very small exception of using a few "modern" phrases from time to time (example: "it was a close shave"), the background, the characters, and the story did everything they were supposed to do and carried me far away.

Her characters are fascinating and straddle the line between good and evil to the point where you really don't know where they stand at a given time. (A bit like people we deal with on a daily basis, maybe?)

The mystery of the story centers on an angel buried somewhere in hallowed, haunted woods, a leper and his "servant" and an evil being set on death and destruction. Oh, and William and his little hob friend he calls "Brother Walter." (I thought that was adorable, by the way.)

I love happy accidents like this book delivered. Often, the books I hear lots of hype about, and that I set out and find on purpose, leave me a little let down. But when a cover calls to me from an obscure library shelf and I grab it, devour it, and can't stop thinking about it...well, what's better than that?

Beyond the storytelling and the characters she created, Ms. Walsh has a talent at developing a mood in her story. It's hard for me to put into words, but there was such a real, and at times oppressive, atmosphere that sucks you in and leaves you scared, shaken, or even a bit exhilarated.

I can't say enough good things about "The Crowfield Curse," and I think my only real complaint, the fact taht gives me true heartburn, is that I have to wait until my next payday to pick up the next installment of William's story, "The Crowfield Demon."The library copies are all checked out through the end of the month and I'm too impatient and/or greedy to wait!  Blah!

Happy reading and happy writing!

Megan
Light Template | ©2012 Designed by Jackie's Design Studio