Monday, February 18, 2013

Middle Grade Voice

One of the biggest struggles I face when writing MG is voice.

I mean, the voice in my head is pretty clear...it never shuts up. But when my narrator is a 12 year old boy, sometimes it feels like my voice is a bit...off?

I gloss the language up a bit. I tidy it. I make my characters think bigger, more profound thoughts than I probably would on a given day.

I read a lot. Right now, I'm nose deep in "The Wind and the Willows" and even KG manages to keep his voice even and unrecognizable.

That's the trick, I guess.  Your reader should go about his or her merry way without realizing somebody is telling them a story. The trick is to make them think they're in the story.

Phew.

Too bad it's easier said than done, right?

Here's to the journey.

Happy writing...
Light Template | ©2012 Designed by Jackie's Design Studio